Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle



Two weeks ago, some friends of mine were in town, so I met them for dinner, and after dinner we stopped by Barnes & Noble for coffee and conversation. As it turned out, there wasn't so much as a free pillow for any of us to sit on, so we wandered around for a bit and headed for an ice cream joint. But while we were at B&N, my friends convinced me to buy a book called The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I had never heard of Jeannette Walls before, but I did a little research on her when I got home, and she has written for some pretty big publications, but is most notable for being the main gossip columnist at MSNBC.com for eight years, before leaving in 2007.
I got a little bit nervous, because I don't consider gossip true journalism. I hate shows like "Entertainment Tonight" and I don't have any reason to watch E! (where Walls was a gossip correspondent). Celebrities are bizarre and I don't share the same values as most of them, so I don't give a damn who marries who, who impregnates who, or who got sent to the psychiatric unit recently.

Even so, I kicked back with my new read and it wasn't long before I was hooked. It is an amazing story. For two decades, Walls hid her own background of neglect and severe poverty. Raised by a shiftless drunk of a father, to quote Walls, and a teacher turned artist, neither of whom could be bothered to work, Walls grew up moving from obscure town to obscure town to avoid bill collectors and law enforcement. She dug through the trash and stole food from friends' houses to survive. The title of the book refers to a glass house her father promised to build the family for years, always promising to invent something spectacular and make them rich. Walls' parents eventually choose a life of homelessness, even though their kids had begun to flourish.

I walked away from the book (which I finished while waiting for my husband to get out of surgery on Monday) absolutely dying to meet Jeannette Walls, because The Glass Castle has inspired me to go back to school for journalism, and to write my story in earnest, and not worry about publishing it right now. If Jeannette Walls can be an educated, successful adult after a piss-poor childhood filled with pain, then I really have no excuse. I can do it.

If you read only one book this year, read this one. It will open your eyes to the plight of underpriviledged children, the homeless, and will inspire you to become better at whatever you do.

Jeanette, if you ever read this... girlfriend, you rocked my world.

8 comments:

Leona said...

Thanks you have provided the nice blogs for us, I am glad about you.
www.skyroofingbrisbane.com

private dive charter in cabo san lucas said...

nice

Unknown said...

I recently found your blog and have now been reading along. I thought I could leave my first comment. I don't understand what to express except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.Conservatory Roof Replacement Chelmsford

sherrysabri said...

شركة تنظيف مساجد بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة صراصير بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالاحساء

syntheticthatch said...


This is a very nice post . I have visited the site many times and learn about Synthetic Thatch very nicely.


We are the Largest Supplier of No. 1 Quality Synthetic Thatch Roofing Material and Artificial Bamboo products supplying top-quality Synthetic thatch & Artificial Bamboo products with 20 Year Warranty, UV-proof, Class A flame-retardant, Maintenance-free. You’ll be astonished at how well our Synthetic Thatch Roofings withstand ocean breeze, heavy rain, snow storm, intense sunlight and general wear & tear for more than 20 years while still looking amazing.

Anonymous said...

قبل الخضوع لعميات تجميل الوجه يجب أن تكون واقعيا عند التفكير في النتائج، وأن تعلم أن عملية تجميل الوجه يتم إجرائها لتحسين المظهر العام للوجه وإزالة الجلد الزائد أو إخفاء العيوب والعلامات التي ربما تجعل الشخص غير راض عن وجهه بشكل عام، وأن العمليات التجميلة للوجه لن تعيد الشباب الضائع ولكنها تسعى للحصول على أفضل النتائج يمكنك مشاهدة عمليات تجميل الوجه قبل وبعد في الصورة التي بالاسفل.

CLADING2222 said...

You dream of getting best wardrobes design with a unique design. Deal with Amr Helmy Company, the best specialized company in this field all over Egypt

CLADING2222 said...

من أشهر أطباء السمنة والنحافة في مصر الدكتور أحمد عبد السلام دكتور كبير و يتمتع بسمعة طيبة في كل ركن من أركان جمهورية مصر العربية فاذا كنت تبحث عن دكتور سمنة ونحافة فلابد أن تتعامل معه ويمكنني أن أوكد لك أنكفي وقت قصير ستصل الي الوزن المثالي

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com